Sunday, May 11, 2014

The Weekend Update

The days are winding down in Malaysia, but there is no shortage of things for me to report on. This weekend we stayed around Penang, but I still kept busy.

Friday we had the opportunity to visit and tour around a Mosque in Georgtown, and so went downtown early to visit a historical mansion first. It was a gorgeous old house, but the best part were the two chinese brides taking bridal pictures inside. So pretty. The mosque itself wasn't that great. Had to cover ourselves from head to toe, so obviously I took the purple robe and pretended I was a boxer. Watching the afternoon prayer was boring, but I guess I'm biased. I came to Malaysia with an open mind about all religions, and I find myself turned off by Islam after we learned about it. I have some serious issues with that religion.






Saturday, we woke up early and climbed Penang Hill as a group. It was about 800 meters up the hill, and some parts were incredibly steep. Per usual, I was sweating in the heat and humidity like none other. It took us about 3 hours to climb up, and then we had lunch at the tourist spots on top. The view was quite nice, but it was disappointing how cloudy it was. Feeling quite accomplished, I bought myself some ice cream and we took the cable car back down the hill. It rained for the rest of the afternoon, and I finally had a free Saturday night to hang out with my international friends.




Sunday I was lucky enough to be invited to a traditional Malay wedding. I borrowed a traditional outfit and a few of us went. It was kind of weird, as I guess this was the second day of celebrations, but we got to see the couple march in and had a traditional meal buffet style. It was cool to see, and I'm glad I went. The rest of the day was spent doing homework, and being lazy.



No comments:

Post a Comment