Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Farewell Dinner

Tuesday night, the eve after we finished our last final, there was a farewell dinner held at a nice hotel in Penang. All of the faculty that were involved with the teaching, planning, and implementing this pioneer "Gustavus Semester in Malaysia" program were invited along with the local university student "buddies" who were around the full 4 months helping us out with anything we might need.

It was a wonderful night, with a few performances, a lot of awards, and really delicious food that included SALAD with RANCH dressing! Thats huge for us. We got up as Gustavus students and sang the most famous Malaysia song (quite badly) and then later entertained them with our poor traditional dancing skills but had a lot of fun.

Fun fact, I got randomly selected to give a short speech about my experiences in Malaysia in front of these like 100 people. Can't say I was too thrilled… however, I think it went ok? Totally scary though to have nothing prepared and to have all these people looking at you and your mind going totally blank. If I never get thrown into that situation again I'd be okay with it.

Here are some photos from the event! I should point out that the dress theme was officially "traditional" but I opted out and instead went for "formal." I borrowed this really cool black dress with cut outs on top that I wish I could keep.









No comments:

Post a Comment