Monday, March 24, 2014

Kuala Lumpor- Capital City!

Let me preface this by saying I’m not a city person. I don’t like the crammed, dirty streets, the lack of greenery, and the constant car noise. Despite this, I really enjoyed my time in the big city of Malaysia. Our first night we just had free time and so a few of us wandered down the local market near our hotel to find food and then successfully navigated the elevated train system to make it to a more downtown area. I call it the times square of KL. We soaked in the atmosphere just wandering around, and enjoyed having no agenda.

The next morning started out with a visit to the famous Petronas towers. We got a lot of great pictures outside them near the fountains, and then we headed to the equally famous KL tower. Usually, the city is very hazy. We were lucky and happened to visit on a beautiful, clear day. To take advantage of this, we zoomed up 276 meters to the observation deck on the 7th tallest communication tower in the world. It offered spectacular views and gave us an idea of just how massive Kuala Lumpor really is.




From here, we took taxis to the Central Market- a tourist haven. There were so many shops selling so many trinkets and clothes and knick-knacks. I wasn’t really feeling it. I like to buy unique local things, preferably made by the person selling it. This was a clear tourist trap, with slightly inflated prices. So while I enjoyed browsing, I only bought some postcards to send. One girl and I decided to walk back to our hotel from there, and passed by Merdeka Square, another tourist attraction. There wasn’t much there, but we did get a nice pic by the I <3 KL sign. Again, it was just nice to wander the city a bit.


Group dinner that night was at a delicious northern Indian food restaurant and then we were free again. The day had exhausted me, so a few of us went to a nearby restaurant for some lemonade type drinks and chatter before retiring to the hotel.
            Monday morning we visited Batu Caves- huge tourist attraction and Hindu temple built around and in a huge cave in Kuala Lumpor.  It was really cool, and there was a ginormous statue outside of it. However, the monkeys around this place were extremely aggressive and therefore quite frightening. I was okay leaving, but I’m sad we have to return to non air conditioned rooms and cold showers.



Oh and I have to mention the breakfast we got at our hotel! Buffett style, with the best western food I’ve had since coming here. Pancakes (but no syrup), omelets, muffins, pastries, hash browns, fruit, cereal, toast… wow. Paradise. I stuffed myself both mornings because who knows when I’ll get that next.

It was a great weekend and I’m ready to take on the week. I believe that Captain America comes out to theaters on Thursday so it would be fun to go with my international friends. Instill some good old ‘Murica love in them. We will see!

No comments:

Post a Comment