Friday, March 14, 2014

Kuala Kangsar

The Gusties were up bright and early this morning with a 7 am departure time from the USM campus to head towards Kuala Kangsar. In case you were wondering, no. It is not any less hot that early, just dark. It was a busy but enjoyable day, with 3 main stops.
We started the day at a traditional shop selling pottery made from clay from a local kampung. We were able to learn about the process of making the various pieces, and I  even got to try my hand at making them! I'm wasn't go good at the decorating… but I loved the wheel! After about an hour of browsing, most of us left with a few souvenirs and an appreciation for the artisanship showcased. I know my parents love cool pottery, so there's a high chance that I picked up at least one thing to bring home!



The next stop was at the old palace of the sultan of the state, now converted into a museum. The architecture was gorgeous, and the displays inside were even more stunning. The wealth of the sultan and his family was clear, as glittering outfits and jewelry along pieces from around the globe were showcased in multiple rooms. I learned that the Sultan's in Malaysia really only have power in the Islam community, but due to their immense wealth, they have quite a bit of influence in the political sphere as well.




Departing from there, we were fed a large buffet style lunch before heading to the house of Anthony Burgess and then the MCKK school where he taught for a few years. Classic me and free meals.. I ate probably 4 meals in one. The best part was that there was bread pudding for dessert! This is the closest thing I've had to an American dessert so you bet I went ham on that. After a short tour of his house, we went to the college where we were greeted by students dressed in traditional outfits, and attended a presentation where we learned about the school's history. A former student of Anthony Burgess was in attendance, and this was an interesting opportunity to hear his perspective on the composer and author that we have learned about in class. Most fun for the us girls  was the chance to take pictures with the young male students in uniform. I like to imagine it was fun for them to receive all the attention, since they go to an all male school!



Look for another post soon on our trips to buddhist temples tomorrow! We're busy but I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment