Sunday, February 23, 2014

WRITE TO ME!

Third world (noun):
            1. the underdeveloped nations of the world, especially those with widespread poverty.
            2. The group of developing nations, especially of Asia and Africa, that do not align themselves with the policies of either the U.S. or the former Soviet Union

I am living in a third world country.



What does this mean? It means that it’s not the U.S.A, I do not have the same comforts as home, and things are not kept to the same standard. Squat toilets and cold showers are a thing, as is no toilet paper or hand soap in most places. Nicer areas of the island are closely bordered by run down areas, and beggars and stray animals are easily spotted. It’s an interesting place to find myself, and my first full week of class was similarly composed of high and low points.

Classes themselves are good. I think I will enjoy the different pace offered by them and I am most excited for tropical ecology. I’m very excited for the field trips to begin. Religious Diversity class got off to an interesting start, as a professor teaches it with a clear bias towards Islam, and a hatred of atheists. Overall however, class is good and keeps me busy.

We’ve gotten to explore the island a little. Georgetown is the main city, and I’ve been there a couple times so far. It’s a vibrant busy, sweltering place with a fun wet market. It’s easy to get to by bus or taxi, and I’ve utilized both. I also went to the only swimmable beach on the island (Batu Ferringhi) and spent the day with a few international students that I met. It was a lovely day, and very hot.






An interesting aspect about Malaysia (besides the driving on the left hand side- I’ll never get used to it) is that cash is such a hot commodity! I go through it so fast, as people do not carry cards. Quite the opposite of how we live in America!

Fun fact is that I ate a scrambled oyster… and liked it! I then proceeded to try stingray and crab. Surprisingly I liked it all!


The low points so far are bed bugs, laundry, and homesickness. Our dorm room was infested with bed bugs, and we had to move to a different room. As you probably know, bed bugs are easily spread, so we had to wash all of our clothes before moving. I was dumb, and did two loads of laundry, like I would at Gustavus, not thinking about how the only option was hot water. I managed to turn my first load entirely pink, and the second load a splotchy blue. Fantastic. My already limited wardrobe was not down to like nothing. I had to go to the mall in Georgetown to buy some basic clothes, and begged my parents to send me a care package of clothes. Not the best start to my trip. Homesickness comes and goes, and is the reason I like to stay busy. I’ve really enjoyed getting to know the international students, and hopefully will continue to cultivate relationships.

First week done. Moving forward.

P.S. It would probably make my life if you would send me a card or something. Here’s the address:

Jumie Samsudin (Attn: Heather Goff)
International Office (Building C09)
Universiti Sains Malaysia
1180 Minden Penang, Malaysia

No comments:

Post a Comment