Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Why Malaysia?

This is the most common question I get asked when I tell people where I'm studying abroad (closely followed by the "So.. where is Malaysia exactly? --> please look it up if you don't know). The answer is kind of complicated, so instead of packing I thought I'd try to explain it here. I think you'll best understand if I break it up into categories on my thinking.

Location
Malaysia in in Asia. Newsflash I know. This is important though, because I always thought I wanted to study abroad in Europe. The problem was that I couldn't pick where. Everywhere seemed incredible and I couldn't choose one place over another. So naturally, I choose a completely different continent. This might have been one of the only decisions I've ever made on a gut feeling, then followed with logic. Hearing about this program sparked something in me: excitement, apprehension, or curiosity I'm still not sure. Whatever the mix of feelings was, it felt like adventure. I wanted in. I told myself (and I do believe it) that I'll get back to Europe in my lifetime. I'll explore the Irish pubs and the Swiss slopes, and see the Eiffel Tower. I will. I may not however, get back to Asia. So I'm going now.

Program
I'll be traveling to Malaysia with 11 other Gustavus students and 2 faculty members. Of the two faculty members, Shirley is a native of Penang, Malaysia, and her husband Steve, has lived there off and on since initially being stationed there through the Peace Corps. They have invaluable knowledge about this country that I'm lucky to get to learn, and will make the transition that much easier. I will room with one  other Gustavus student, and all the pairs will be spread out over the campus of Universiti Sains Malaysia (comparable in size to the U of M). This allows us to get to know the students that attend the school but always have someone there who reminds us of home. A good balance I think. Together, all 12 of us will take the same 4 classes, taught by faculty members from the school. These classes include a language class, where we will learn Malay, a religions class, a culture/history of Malaysia class, and my personal favorite, a tropical ecology class. Built into the program are various excursions around the country, both for tourism and for site work related to our biology course. And, we never have class on Fridays. As a science major, this is a dream!

People
The country of Malaysia is unique in that is has multiple different cultures and religions all living and working together in relative peace. I think that residing in a country that accomplishes this will be incredibly enlightening and hopefully I will learn things that I can carry with me for the rest of my life. I will get the opportunity to live among vibrant people in a wonderful medley of culture and I could not be more excited. Also, I want to experience being the minority. This is probably a weird thing to admit to, but I really do. All my life I've been taught about racism and diversity, but I never felt like I could really understand it being white and living and going to predominately white places. Now, I will be the minority, and I will stand out, in both good and bad ways.

Food
A country with such a mix of culture is bound to have amazing  food, and everything I've been told leads me to believe that I am essentially going to a food paradise. For anyone who knows me, this is perfect. I love food, and trying new things, and by the sounds of it, I will be hard pressed to try it all.

Price
I'd be lying if I said that price wasn't a factor in my choice. For a study abroad program, this one is quite manageable. I was told by my parents that any extra cost for a study abroad program would have to be covered by me, so I chose the one that is actually saving us some money up front. This leaves me with more to spend while I'm over there. An all around win.

Hopefully this answers the big question "Why Malaysia?!" and seriously, if you don't know where it is, Check out a map. It's my home for the next 4 months :)

No comments:

Post a Comment