Sunday, February 23, 2014

Langkawi, Malaysia

I was offered the opportunity to join about 10 other international students for a weekend trip to Langkawi, which is a very beautiful and touristic island north of Penang, right on the border of Thailand. I wasn’t sure it would be worth it, since I couldn’t leave till Saturday morning (I had program obligations) and would have to come back Sunday night due to my classes not being skippable Monday. In the end I was impulsive and said yes! I’m so glad I did.


We left on a ferry 8:15 am Saturday morning and arrived 3 hours later. After finding our hostel by taxi, we got a ride to the beach, where we met up with some of the guys who arrived the day before. Thus commenced a great beach day. Later on we went to a nice restaurant before buying some cheap beer (alcohol is quite expensive on Penang so this was a big deal) and heading back to the beach to hang out in the sand for the night. It was so hot that we remained in swimsuits until going back to the hostel at 1 am. Talking, drinking, and laughing on a tropical paradise island? There wasn’t much to complain about :)






Knowing that I and the boys who came up on Friday had to catch the 2:30 Ferry back to Penang, we woke up excruciatingly early to eat breakfast and go to the cable car more north on the island. It cost 30 RM to ride up the cable car and it was worth it. The views from the top were spectacular, and the breeze up there made it so the heat didn’t bother us as much. It was neat to see the island, and the other islands around Langkawi. There is a skybridge too, but it’s unfortunately closed for renovations for 3 years. The cable car was good enough for me though.





Exhausted, I made it back to Penang Sunday night, ready to start the week. It was a nice whirlwind trip, and make me excited for what else Malaysia might have to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment