Thursday, April 17, 2014

Cookies can be a lifesaver

During my time in Malaysia, I've been volunteering every Wednesday for 3 hours at St. Nicholas home for the Blind. It's about a 40 minute taxi ride away and so takes up a lot of time, but a few of us go together and it's very rewarding. It was scary at first because while I've worked with Autistic and ADHD children before, I've never worked with someone who is visually impaired and it's quite challenging. I've gone for 5 weeks now, but this last week was my favorite by far. I was finally assigned to somewhere I really understand.. the pasty kitchen. I had emailed in my brother and I's favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe in hopes that by some miracle, they would have the right ingredients and allow me to show them how to make a real cookie. Cookies in Malaysia are actually gross. They did! I spend a few hours teaching them how to make the cookies, and then helping them make a cheesecake. I have never realized how therapeutic and wonderful baking (even cooking) can be. The lack of a kitchen, and homemade meals is really getting to me. I understand that food is super cheap here, and eating out makes the most sense, but there is just something about a home made meal thats comforting. Anyway, the cookies turned out pretty good and I've never been more happy to have a western desset. During a week filled with homework and stress, it was exactly what I needed. Next week, I'm hoping they will put me back in the pastries and that I can teach them how to make muffins. That sounds delicious as well :)


No comments:

Post a Comment